Katrinile Varum Geetham
Lalgudi G.J.R Krishnan (violin)
I do not think I have the stature to talk about Mama apart from saying that he is a giant, a wizard and the most extraordinary musician I have come across. He is the absolute master of his instrument and a living deity in our midst, defying age and other constraints to be a brilliant performer, scholar and teacher.
Arunaji is a very special musician. Her voice is unique; a testament to training that is impeccable, but also to a triumphant individuality of spirit and tonality. She is a lone ranger, and a trailblazer at that.
Her Intelligence and her creativity have made her an icon for classical music, reaching audiences the world over. Although we have never performed together, I had the unique honor of experimenting the piano and her voice in New York on a few of her visits, which served as the beacon of light guiding me towards the discovery and nurturing of “my soul”. She continues to serve as a guide, a friend and an absolutely inspirational musician.
Easily one of the most intelligent collaboration I have had the privilege to be a part of. Raviji is a polymath, having the unique ability to traverse different ideas simultaneously. His control over the melodic line is legendary.
What can I possibly say about a musician who, as a child of 2, recognizes 325 ragas and 175 talas? That he defies ways description and that it is a signal honor for me to be part of his musical stable. Raviji and I collaborated with the Eli Yamin Jazz Quartet from New York in 2008, thanks to the USIS. We have performed together several times, notably in Bangalore in February 2008 and again in Chennai (a one-raga based concept that we created) in January 2009.
Murad Ali Khan
Music and Visual Art – working alongside master painter AV Ilango
Music, Science and Architecture – EO 24
Music and Mythology – with master mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik
Music and Ideas (Part 1 through 6)
Karthik at CIFF
Compositions and Commissions
- Barefoot in the Part (Evam, 2003)
- Chasing My Mamet Duck (2011)
- Guide (Teamwork Productions, Delhi, 2012)
- Sita’s Magical Forest (Apsaras Arts and The Esplanade Theatre Company, Singapore, 2012)
- 7 Graces (With Anita Ratnam)
- Aasai Mugham (With Ramli Ibrahim)
- Tapasya (With Rajika Puri)
- Karadi Tales (For Children : The Mouse Series (2009)
- A Quiet Courage (Karadi Tales, 2012)
- Into the Light (2002) with Mandolin U Rajesh
- Spirits (2003) with U Rajesh, Pete Lockett and others
- Madhirakshi (2006) with Sikkil Gurucharan, Charsur
- Maayaa (2007) with Sikkil Gurucharan, Charsur
- The Blue Divine (2009) with Sikkil Gurucharan, Kalakendra
- Tarunam (2010) with Sikkil Gurucharan, Kalakendra
- Flame of the Forest (2009) with Chitravina Ravikiran, Kalakendra
- Kannamma (2009), with various artists, For Nalandaway (Kalakendra)
- Eternal Light (2010) with Lalgudi Krishnan, Felmay, Italy
- Samjhanitha (2007) with U Shrinivas and various other artists, Sony Dreyfus
- The Story of Silk (2012) with Sikkil Gurucharan, Silkworm
- Live at the Peninsula (2013 – forthcoming), Peninsula Studios, With Sikkil Gurucharan
- Keys to India (2013 – forthcoming), solo with featured guest artists
- Music India, Milapfest (2011, 2012)
- Southbank Centre, London (2013 – on invitation – forthcoming)
- National Centre for the Traditional Performing Arts, Korea (2011)
- The Lingalayam Dance Company, Sydney, Australia in association with the Parammatta Arts Council (2010)